My RWA National Conference Experience

by Kristin Daniels


Last Friday I posted from the RWA National Convention in Washington DC and promised an update on my experience for you this week.


All I can say is Wow! What a great time I had. As a first-timer, I think I walked around half the time in a daze. There was a lot of “Holy cow, was that JR Ward I just passed standing at the concierge desk?” or “Okay, wow! Cindy Gerard and Kylie Brant are over there just chilling on one of the lobby’s sofas!” Yep, I was pretty star struck.


After the morning session and crying at Janet Evanovich’s tearful recollection of her first sale, I jumped in with both feet. Workshops galore, then back to the banquet hall for a great lunch with keynote speaker Linda Howard. I’m not sure if you all remember, but in my first interview here with Nicole, I talked about how Linda Howard inspired me to start writing romance. To actually hear her speak (and to practically roll on the ground with laughter—she is one funny lady) was something I won’t soon forget.


Besides meeting up with some longtime online buddies, new fellow authors and even a couple Fierce Romancers, I think the highlight of the week was sitting in on a two hour chat with JR Ward (The Black Dagger Brotherhood series) and Jessica Andersen (The Nightkeeper Series). It was casual, and they were so friendly. They answered every question asked without hesitation and I really got a great insight into how they work. It was inspirational to say the least.


The RITA awards the last night was a lot of fun—I love getting dressed up! Some of my favorite authors were up for awards, and a few of them even won. Had me wondering if maybe, just maybe, someday my book and picture would be up on that screen as a nominee. Really, stranger things have happened!


PS—I received some great writing news yesterday. Once the deets are ironed out, I’ll post here and let you know about it!

8 comments:

Abby Niles said...

Bless her heart. I think I died laughing everytime Linda Howard said that.
Esme

J Hali Steele said...

Sorry we missed each other! Sounds like you had such fun. I got to meet JR Ward at an RT convention - she's something else isn't she?

Nicole North said...

Thanks for sharing! I agree the conference was fantastic!! Wonderful speeches and workshops! And I enjoyed meeting everyone!

Ari Thatcher said...

It sounds like such fun!

Jeanne St. James said...

It was great meeting you. I hope to see you at RT in Columbus next year. Maybe I'll be feeling a bit more energetic!

Kristin Daniels said...

Esme, Oh I know! I love that southernism!

Joann, I'm sorry we missed each other, too, but we can catch up at Romanticon!

Nicole, I enjoyed meeting everyone as well! Nashville next year?

Ari, It was great fun! I'm hoping to see you at Romanticon, too (hint, hint, nudge, nudge!)

Jeanne, I'm hoping to be at RT next year as well. I hope you'll feel energetic, we missed you that last night in DC!

Eliza Knight said...

Thanks for sharing! I was a first timer this year too, and it was AWESOME! I can't wait to go again! I did the same thing with double takes when I'd walk by someone. And the speeches/workshops were amazing!

Carol Ericson said...

Kristin, hmm, I swear I left a comment the other day?! Anyway, glad you enjoyed your first conference. I didn't make it this year, but hope to be in Nashville.