Guest: Brenda B. Taylor & Through the Storm


Brenda B Taylor and her husband make their home in beautiful East Texas where they enjoy spending time with family and friends, traveling, and working in Bethabara Faith Ministry, Inc. Brenda earned three degrees: a BSE from Henderson State University, Arkadelphia, Arkansas; a MEd from Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas; and an EdD from Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas.

Brenda crafts stories about the extraordinary lives of ordinary people in her favorite place overlooking bird feeders, bird houses, and a variety of blooming trees and flowers. She sincerely thanks all who purchase and read her books. Her desire is that the message in each book will touch the heart of the reader as it did hers in the writing.

Q: Welcome, Brenda! Please tell us about your new release, Through the Storm. Do you have a review you could share with us?
A: The Wade family saga continues in this work of historical fiction set in post-Civil War Missouri. Love reigns in the home of Leann and Ralph Wade, although tested many times during the course of their marriage. Sonny Wade, Ralph's brother, harbors a secret passion for Leann, and Joan Smith, a family friend, desires Ralph. Leann and Ralph struggle to overcome the storms of life through faith, courage, and commitment to each other.

"As always, you make my every childhood Oregon Trail dream come true!  Leann and Ralph's story is simply beautiful.  The characters are amazing, each one with their own identity that is so recognizable.  Well done!" ~ Jessie Clever, author of Inevitably A Duchess

Q: Sounds wonderful! What inspired this story?
A: While engaging in genealogical research, I discovered my father's family moved from Tennessee in the early 1800's to the Cuba, Missouri area. My husband and I traveled to Missouri, visited with cousins, and researched the vicinity of the family home. A flame of desire to write about the family struggles during the post-Civil War days burned brightly.
Q: What is the story behind the story?
A: The Civil War destroyed homes, property, and people. The Wades' older son, Sonny, who is a secondary character in the series, is greatly damaged by his experiences in the conflict. He lost the chance to court and win Leann, although he continues to love her after she marries his brother.
Q: Why do you choose to write historical fiction?
A: I write historical fiction, because I have a minor in history and enjoy the research of earlier time periods.
Q: Where is your favorite place in the world?
A: Beside my home, Scotland is my favorite place in the world. A Scottish historical novel is planned for publication in the near future.
Q: It's my favorite place too. Which element of story creation is your favorite?
A: Developing strong characters and weaving the story around them is my favorite element in story creation. The characters talk to me. Their conversations constantly swirl in my head until I write them on paper.
Q: What inspires you? What motivates you?
A: Writing historical fiction was a longtime desire, but I had to wait until retirement to fulfill the dream.
Q: Please tell us about your other books.
A: Through The Storm is the third book in the Wades of Crawford County saga. The first installments are Heaven Must Wait, and Follow Your Heart. The series follows Leann Clark and Ralph Wade through courtship, marriage, and the storms of family life in post-Civil War Missouri.
Excerpt
"Pa and Junior caught some nice fish in the Meramec last week," Ralph said about halfway into the trip home. "I'm gonna take you and the kids fishing soon. Johnny and me will be through with harvesting the tobacco, and we all need a break from sickness and working hard. Nothing like a good fishing trip to make a person feel better."
"How nice! The kids will love to go fishing. I'll pack a lunch. We'll have a great time." Leann slipped an arm through his.
He looked at her sitting close on the wagon seat, and felt the warmth of her body pressing against his arm. Not being able to resist the temptation to kiss her lovely mouth, he pulled up under a large oak displaying an array of orange and red colors. He had missed her sweet love while lying sick in the bed for what seemed an eternity.
The reins slacked when Leann returned his embrace. Jed came to a complete stop while they kissed in the warm sunlight of a beautiful autumn afternoon. Ralph's hat fell onto the floorboard. A red leaf floated softly into her hair as the sun's rays crowned her head with a golden halo. He nibbled a pink earlobe, then kissed the white nap of her neck where strands of sweet-smelling hair lay in small curls. A folded quilt in the wagon bed came to mind. He may spread it out on the grass for them to lie on.
Leann suddenly removed her arms from his neck. "We'd better go. The kids will be home soon."
Hating to, but knowing the necessity, Ralph released her, found his hat, and took up the reins. They rode the rest of the way in silence, basking in each other's company. The wagon pulled into the front yard at the same time Jim galloped up on Starbright.

Brenda gifting a Kindle copy (from Amazon) of her new book to one commenter! Please remember to leave an email or a way for us to contact you. Thanks!

Please visit Brenda online at:






Thank you for being our guest today, Brenda! I've enjoyed it!

19 comments:

Terry Spear said...

Fascinating, Brenda! Love Scotland too!!! Good luck with your new book!

BBT said...

Thanks so much Terry. I appreciate your visit.

Vamp Writer said...

Interesting excerpt, truly post civil war history offers a lot of opportunities for an author from which to craft his or her novels.

gog6692@msn.com

BBT said...

I enjoy researching and writing about the post-Civil War period. Several family members were engaged in the conflict. Thanks for visiting.

Ella Quinn - Romance Novelist said...

Wonderful interview! I tweeted.

Melissa Keir said...

I can't wait to read it! I have always wanted to travel to Scotland. My hubby's family is from there.

Lana Williams said...

Sounds fascinating! Thanks for sharing! Tweeted as well.

Unknown said...

What a lovely kiss! Thank you for a great post.

Jennifer Wenn

BBT said...

Thanks so much Ella, Melissa, Lana, and Jennifer. I appreciate you stopping by for a visit.

Thanks for the tweet, Ella.

Carly Carson said...

I love your pictures on your Pinterest board. They really help to bring the stories to life. You chose a fascinating historical period. Plenty of fodder for plot!

Mary Marvella said...

I guess I need to put this on my list of books to read!

Unknown said...

I love that your novel was borne of a desire to record family history. Awesome!

BBT said...

Carly, thanks for visiting and checking out the Wades of Crawford County Pinterest board. I have fun pinning to it. Thanks for visiting the blog, Mary and Gemma. I really enjoy family research. You can find some interesting characters.

Mary Marvella said...

And I love your cover!

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Waving to you and Vonda, Brenda. So nice to read through your comments today. I definitely agree about Scotland being a fantastic place to visit. I'd move there tomorrow if I could. Best of luck with lots of sales!

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Waving to you and Vonda, Brenda. So nice to read through your comments today. I definitely agree about Scotland being a fantastic place to visit. I'd move there tomorrow if I could. Best of luck with lots of sales!

BBT said...

Thanks so much Mary and Paisley. I appreciate your visit and comments.

Mary Marvella said...

My email address is MMARVELLAB@aol.com

BBT said...

Thanks Mary. I'll contact you by email.