Post Thanksgiving Reflections



I attended Thanksgiving this year at the home of my sister-and-brother-in-law. There were 36 people for Thanksgiving dinner. Yes, it was a zoo, but also fun (except for the untrained dog who ruined my daughter's brand new dress, my favorite black sweater and two pairs of tights - and that was just in my family, lol).

The ages ranged from the cutest 2 year old all the way up to the sweetest 83 year old, who had brought lots of her jewelry to pass out to her daughters-in-law, granddaughters and great-granddaughters. I think she enjoyed it.

What struck me most about this celebration is that approximately 1/3 of the guests were from other countries. One family was from Holland, one matriarch from Columbia (via Lebanon) and another family from Ukraine. So it really was an international gathering for this uniquely American holiday. Although all of these people lived in America, they mostly were not American citizens, nor did they aspire to be Americans. They are working here, raising families here, but very much attached to their home countries. It gave me a different viewpoint of the whole immigration picture.

Here was my laugh for the day. My family was staying in a hotel. We booked one room for my husband and myself and two kids (another was staying with her cousins). My daughter and I checked in first, around 9 pm because she was sick. I asked if they had a cot so the sick one and the healthy one didn't have to share a bed. 

The clerk gave me a strange look and said, "You have a nice two-bedroom suite with a king bed in one room, two double beds in the other bedroom, and a pull-out sofa in the living room." She regarded the  two of us standing there. "Do you still need the cot?"

LOL I guess they had upgraded us, but I don't think she even knew it was an upgrade. She just thought I was crazy. But we did enjoy the suite!

I hope everyone had an enjoyable holiday!

No comments: