FAWG - It's not a Weather Phenomenon

The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity. (George Carlin)

Promotion, promotion, promotion. Sometimes it seems more important than the writing. And it’s not necessarily a natural activity for writers, most of whom are more or less introverted. If you’ve ever muttered curses at the telephone, run for the safety of the basement when the doorbell rings, or turned down an invitation to lunch because you’d rather dine with your characters, you know what I mean.

But the age of the internet does make it easier and more fun to meet and socialize with other people. I try to jump in only when it’s something that looks like it will be enjoyable to do. This is how I became a member of FAWG, an acronym that stands for FindAWritingGroup.com. I like the roundup he has of interesting writing-related posts each week. Even in a newspaper I read every day, I missed an article about the death of the slush pile, but it turned up in the roundup.

I think the idea is that rather than roaming from blog to blog looking for something that interests you, you can do one-stop shopping at FAWG. (I say shopping, but it’s all free.) Also, it’s a way to meet other writers, and it’s organized by geography. So, for example, I have set up the FAWG for Massachusetts, which is the state I live in. Most online groups I’m in have members scattered across the globe, which is fun in its own way. And I’ve even met people on those lists who live near me. But, obviously, that’s the exception rather than the rule. I know Nano has made a big push to have local groups, but that’s only one month of the year. So I thought it might be fun to try something ongoing.

Of course, RWA has local chapters. But when you add in the cost of joining RWA plus chapter dues, it can get pricey. The FAWG is free, and it’s more comprehensive in scope (not just romance).

I’m looking forward to the words of advice that any writer can post on the Wall of Wisdom. Last, but not least, I read about FAWG on Nathan Bransford’s blog. Which gives it some stamp of legitimacy to me. The guest blog is here: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2010/01/guest-blog-week-is-your-but-too-big.html with the cute title “Is Your But too Big?” Don’t know how a guy came up with that one, lol.

So, any thoughts on this?

Does anyone have other ideas for promotion they’d like to share?

Here’s the link if you’re interested: http://www.findawritinggroup.com/Welcome_to_FindAWritingGrou.php





Carly Carson


http://www.carlycarson.com/

3 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

I am continuously amazing at the information that can be found on the Internet and through the blogging world.

Nicole North said...

Very cool info! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for helping to spread the word :)