Confessions of a cover snob...

Okay, I confess, I'm sort of a cover snob. As in, a good cover can have me picking up a random book, while a bad cover can have me backing slowly away.





I realized this yesterday when mom and I went book shopping. I was browsing the new paperback section at Barnes & Noble and saw three books by...I don't even know who...and all the covers sported a kick-ass type heroine. Any time I see those types of covers these days it just makes me think urban fantasy, not romance. So, I tend to walk right on by. If I'm in the mood for a steamy romance, I'm going to search out a steamy cover. Preferrably one with a cute guy kissing or embracing a woman.

When I came across this cover below, I was instantly intrigued. Two things caught my eye. The couple and that chain. I needed to know more about that chain and what it meant. So, I picked it up and read the blurb. Shifters, ohhhh. Now we're talking! The really bizarre thing is, I didn't even bother to read the title. I simply didn't care. That cover caught me, the blurb hooked me.

By the time I got it home I started to think about all the books I'd bought. This one came to mind, but I couldn't think of the title or the author's name. LOL I bought it soley because I liked that cover and blurb! As it turns out, I've never read this author before. So, it turns out that a cover does indeed make a big difference in grabbing new readers. I started to feel bad that I hadn't given that other author--the one with the kick-ass heroine covers--a chance. After all, it's not her fault that I have this weird preference! And I probably missed some really good books by walking right on by them.



The question is, do you tend to grab a book and read the blurb because the cover caught your attention? And do you, like me, feel a little guilty for allowing the cover to influence your buying choices?



I'm not sure if it's an all the time sort of thing or if it's more about mood. If I'm in the mood for a paranormal that's what I search out, a cover that reflects that. If I'm in the mood for historical, I browse the covers with the flowing dresses and tight pants.

And while I'm asking you all questions, have you ever read this author? This is book 1 of her Shifters Unbound series. I'm looking forward to reading it! You can read chapter one here

6 comments:

Lisa F. said...

I've never read her. I never buy a book based on the cover. I always buy based on the blurb or a recommendation from a trusted friend.

I just finished Moon Craving - OMG, I don't want to wait for the next one!

Anonymous said...

Well, I won't buy a book based on it's cover, but like you, if the cover catches my attention I WILL read the blurb. If I like that, THEN I'll buy the book.

I've never read anything by that author, but the cover does catch my attention. :)

Micole Black said...

Guess you could say I am a cover snob as well. I do judge a book by it's cover... and well it's bitten me in the butt a time or two! :) I usually go for western romance or pretty much anything with a cowboy on the cover. Publishers must know this trick because I have actually picked up more than one book with a cowboy on the cover and get the rug pulled out right from under me! There are no cowboys in the story! ;)

The book you asked about... I have it, but haven't read it yet.

hugs

Micole Black

Natasha Moore said...

I'm definitley attracted to certain covers. I will pick up and read the blurb because of a cover - sometimes I buy, sometimes I don't. I could feel guilty about passing other by but, really, I don't have time to read the blurb of every book, so I have to sue something. If it's not an author I know, I often go by the cover to try it out.

Haven't read this author either but it is a great cover.

Terry Spear said...

I work in a library so I handle tons of books every day, and yes, definitely, covers catch my, and everyone else's that I work with, attention. We have to show off the books to each other that capture our imagination, delight us or turn us off. :) Sometimes I admit I have to read the book after seeing the cover first, then reading the blurb. :)

Nicole North said...

I am sort of a cover snob too (maybe because I'm a visual person and art minor.) If a cover catches my eye, I'll read the blurb. Then maybe a sample page or excerpt. If a cover doesn't catch my eye then chances are I won't read the blurb.