Angela Johnson and her Vow of Seduction


Today, we're happy to have historical romance author Angela Johnson as our guest!

Angela Johnson earned a BA degree in history from Washburn University of Topeka in 1999. Upon graduating she combined her favorite subjects—history and romance—and began crafting her first medieval romance novel. Angela then entered this work into national RWA-sponsored writing contests where she either won, or placed, in four of the contests. These achievements led to her novel being read by industry editors and she was soon offered a two-book contract with Kensington Publishing. Vow of Seduction is in bookstores now. A full-time writer, Angela lives in Kansas, with Joe, her very own hero of twenty-one years.


Please tell us about your latest release. Do you have a review you could share with us?

Nicole, thank you so much for inviting me to talk about my debut medieval romance, VOW OF SEDUCTION, which was released on October 6, 2009.

In VOW OF SEDUCTION, Sir Alex de Beaumont, loyal crusader knight of Edward I, returns home to England bent on seduction—of the wife he never wanted, but one he now desperately craves. Lady Katherine, on the other hand, has no desire to reconcile with the heartless rogue who rejected her love. But when an enemy determined to destroy them both closes in, Alex must risk everything for the one woman whose love he wants forever.

“Debut author Angela Johnson's VOW OF SEDUCTION weaves a powerful tale of lost love, betrayal, seduction and determination. Readers will be ensnared by this endearing tale of love.” Full review at Freshfiction.com: http://freshfiction.com/review.php?id=24763


Please tell us about your favorite character in the book.

The heroine, Lady Katherine, or Kat as she insists, is without a doubt my favorite character. She is brazen, strong-willed and stubborn. She's also an excellent match for the hero, Alex, who is so irresistibly sexy and determined. `Tis no wonder the sparks fly almost from page one when these two reunite. Much like myself, Kat is strong in many ways, yet has hidden vulnerabilities. I can relate to her, so I guess that's the main reason why she's my favorite character.

What element of story creation is your favorite?


Okay, Mother, I apologize beforehand, in case you happen to read this, but my favorite element of story creation is writing love scenes. Though it comes more naturally than other elements, there is always the challenge in every scene of striking the right balance between sexual tension and emotion.

Do you have any advice for unpublished authors?


Yes. If you get the chance, join a local or regional writer's group. The best career decision I ever made was to join my local writer’s group....Kansas Writer's Inc....(KWI). It’s important to surround yourself with people who support, motivate, and encourage you through good times and bad; through triumphs and tribulations. Writer's groups also offer education and networking opportunities too. And, they serve as a natural resource for finding good critique partners. I doubt I would be published today, without the help of my amazingly talented and wonderfully supportive critique partners. And finally, don't forget to believe in yourself. It all starts there.

When did you know you wanted to be an author?

When I was in my thirties. I'd just graduated from college with a degree in History and was trying to figure out what to do with the darn thing, when one day my husband said, “You love history and reading romance, why don't you combine the two and make a career of it?” “Write my own historical romance?” I responded, stupefied. I was skeptical because I'd never considered myself to be creative. But, once Joe planted that seed, ideas for stories began to grow until I had one that clamored to be written. So I began to write it, and VOW OF SEDUCTION is the result. Ironically, the creative aspect of writing is what I love most about my chosen career. It's a great feeling to sit back after writing a particularly satisfying scene, smile, and wonder..."Did I really write that?" Now, I can't imagine myself doing anything else.

What’s next for you?


I am in the final days of writing the sequel to VOW OF SEDUCTION, which is currently untitled, and has a release date in October 2010. Afterward, I'm going to start writing a Regency-set historical romance trilogy. This series will cover the lives of three best friends, who are all forced to marry because they are caught up in scandalous situations. I can't wait to get started.


Thanks so much for being our guest today, Angela!!
Find Angela at her website: http://www.angelajohnsonauthor.com
Facebook

6 comments:

Pat McDermott said...

Nicole, thanks for showcasing Vow of Seduction today. This story has all the fixings of a fine read. Angela, I enjoyed getting to know you better. Your story ideas really sound intriguing. Wishing you all the best with Alex and Kat and with all your writing.

Carly Carson said...

Congratulations on your first book! It sounds like a fun read.

Maeve Greyson said...

I read an excerpt of Vow of Seduction and it sounds like a great read! I look forward to reading more!

Natasha Moore said...

Sounds like a great story, Angela!! Congrats on your new release!

Angela Johnson said...

Nicole, thanks again for having me. It was fun sharing a little bit about myself and my writing.

Pat, thanks for your encouraging comments. Good luck on your trilogy.

Carly, thank you so much. I had a lot of fun writing Kat and Alex's story.

Maeve, so glad you liked the excerpt. I hope you like the rest as much.

Thank you Natasha!!

Nicole North said...

Thanks again for being a guest, Angela!! I enjoyed it! I have your book on top of my TBR stack and can't wait to dive into it!!