Nice and Naughty Girls

What is your favorite type of romance heroine? Mine tend to be nice good girls, but they also have a secret naughty side. Perhaps like me?? :)


I enjoy writing about heroines who have somewhat of a past and a bit of sexual knowledge. Perhaps a bad experience with a past boyfriend or husband, someone who didn’t appreciate them the way the hero will. That contrast is fun and interesting for me to explore.

Catriona, in Beast in a Kilt, Red Sage Secrets Volume 29 Indulge Your Fantasies, was one of the few virgin heroines I’ve written. But she isn’t shy, timid or afraid of sex. Quite the opposite. She’s far more forward and bold than Torr, the hero, wishes at first. Plus, she’s in love with him and not afraid to tell him. She tempts and taunts him to go against his honor and ravish a virgin. How can he resist when she secretly slips aphrodisiac into his ale? She’s determined to have Torr for her very own.



Alana, in Laird of Darkness, my March 21 release from Carina Press, is a beautiful blond lady in her early twenties. She had a secret tryst at age 17 with a handsome stable lad of about the same age. If possible, she’s determined to keep this a secret from her future husband, a chief. But when she, by her own choice, ends up in the bed of Duncan, the dark laird who is holding her hostage, he figures out she isn’t as innocent as she’d like him to believe. When he parades around in the nude, she might blush, but her hungry, appreciative gaze tells him she knows something of what goes on between a man and a woman. When he quiets her fears in the darkness of night, she blatantly encourages him to shift his comfort to seduction. She might never find another man she is so intensely drawn to.

I enjoy writing brave, spirited, courageous heroines who throw caution to the wind and go after what they want.

The first chapter of Laird of Darkness is available on my website here. It includes the scene where Duncan captures Alana and carries her back to his lair. Will she fight him every step of the way? Laird of Darkness is available for preorder from Carina Press, Amazon, and B&N.

What is your favorite type of heroine to read or write about? Do you prefer them serious or humorous? Forward or reserved? Nice or naughty… or both? :)

Thanks!
Nicole

16 comments:

Michelle Muse said...

I love heroines who have a mind of their own, especially in historicals, when women were known to have no rights. I also like women who are good girls-I've not read any where the woman is a bad girl gone good. Hmmmm. They are probably out there though, I just don't know about them. Loved your blog. Congrats on your new release Nicole.

Esmerelda Bishop said...

I like heroines who are strong, but have insecurties. The insecurties may make them timid in some aspects of their life, but it does not control them. If anything it makes them stronger in other areas.

The one thing I don't care for that I see a little too often, is heroines who are beyond pissed that crumble into a fit of passion the moment the hero kisses her. It drives me insane. Maybe its because I don't connect with that at all. It's not that they can't fall to the desire, but put up some sort of fight first, would you? lol.

Good luck with the release, Nicole!!

Esme

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

I like a heroine who appears nice, but deep inside is a wee bit naughty. Having a sense of humor is fun, especially if she uses it to her advantage against a hero who just can't quite figure her out. It brings him back for more and more until she captures him. ;)

Carly Carson said...

Your story sounds great, Nicole. I hope to see it on the top 5 at Carina!

Nicole North said...

Thanks Michelle!! Bad girl gone good could be a interesting twist. :)

Nicole North said...

Esme, thanks!! I agree with you on that--strong but with insecurities. I like a vulnerability in any character. I also agree about your second comment. Might almost make it hard to believe if she's angry one moment then the next ready to jump into bed. LOL

Nicole North said...

Wonderful comment, Paisley! Yes, those kinds of heroines are fun!

Nicole North said...

Thanks so much, Carly! Wow, wouldn't that be fun! :)

Pat McDermott said...

I like a girl who behaves as she should until a tragic shock or disappointment sharpens her claws for revenge or justice. Then there's the proper girl who goes after the man she wants in deliciously devious ways. It's always fun to see how they do it, if they get caught, and how it all turns out.

Taryn Kincaid said...

Good girls, bad girls, doesn't matter to me. As long as they are not whiny, or TSTL. And I believe what attracts the hero to them. I do like to see them stand up to their guy from time to time, whether they are blushing and inexperienced or have been around the block more times than a transit authority bus!

Nicole North said...

Pat, absolutely! Both are fun and interesting!

Nicole North said...

I'm with you on that, Taryn! I don't like whiney TSTL heroines. :)

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

I'd never heard the expression TSTL until I got a Critique Partner. She told me my heroine was TSTL...wow, that stung...but when I read over my first 2 chapters, I realized she was right. I'd written her clueless. Now she's outspoken with her own set of insecurities. You ought to see her karate kick her pursuers while she's in her stilletos. No coward there! Is she prim and proper? Yes. Is she a bitch in heels when provoked? Oh hell, yeah. Is she insecure about her forty-year old body? For sure, especially when her potential lover is ten years her junior. She is--like all of us--a delightful mix.

Angela Johnson said...

Definitely nice and naughty. The juxtaposition of the two usually makes for some fun and sexy scenes. A heroine who secretly slips aphrodisiacs into the heroes drinks--love it, Nicole.

Nicole North said...

She sounds wonderful, Vonnie!! I love tough heroines like that.

Nicole North said...

Thanks, Angela!! It was a fun scene to write.:)