Oh, the weather outside is frightful...

Um. No. It's not. And I have to say that I'm a little bummed about that.

I'm a Chicagoan. Granted, I'm a transplanted one, but I'm a still Chicagoan nonetheless. All of us who live here may not like every aspect of our glorious winters, but at the same time we trudge through (sometimes literally) and deal with them. And there are certain things we expect. Snow, especially around Christmastime, is one of those things.

Earlier this fall, there were all sorts of reports saying how "This will be the snowiest Chicago winter evahhhh..." (Okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating a little on those headlines :)). My point is this: It's now December 23rd and what do I see when I look out the window? Grass. Green grass, to be precise.

Not a hint of the white stuff anywhere.

I've woken up twice in the past month to a dusting of snow on the ground. That's it. Oh, and it all melted right away, too. I've yet to actually SEE it snow.

One of my favorite things to do when it's snowing is to light a fire in the fireplace, sit on my couch in front of the window with my laptop in my lap, and write my little heart out. I've lit the fires. I've sat on my couch with  my laptop. But without the snow falling, it's just not the same.

Now, don't get me wrong -- I'm not a fan of the aftereffects of getting hit with 2 feet of snow all at once (although being snowbound isn't always so horrible :)), and I may be in the minority when it comes to actually wanting snow. But, come on. It's Christmastime. Isn't snow at Christmas a must?

Darn. This year, I suppose not.

Sigh. Oh, well. I'll get over it :)

I wish everyone a Happy Holiday season -- with or without the snow!!

Kristin
www.kristindaniels.com
www.facebook.com/authorkristindaniels
http://twitter.com/Kristin_Daniels

3 comments:

Mari Freeman said...

It's 66 and I'm in a tank top.. Yep. Love my mild NC winters. You can have the snow up there in Chi -Town. Just don't you dare bring it with you when you come in January!

Natasha Moore said...

No snow here in western NY either. Cold rain right now. Ugh! Enjoy your Christmas, with or without the snow!

Carly Carson said...

Sitting in Vermont right now. Yes. On a skiing vacation. Minus the snow. lol No chance of enough accumulation. Sigh.