Memorable Dads in Literature and Cinema

I'm not scheduled to post on Father's Day, so I wanted to send good wishes to dads everywhere a little bit early. Plus, I got to thinking about it this year and realized there are some really memorable dads in literature and cinema. I've never written a father character directly into one of my books, although I'm in the process right now in my newest contracted WIP. He's a bad dad, though--the absolute worst. Once the book gets closer to publication, I'll post more on him and his awful ways, but for now here is a list of some of the dads that come to mind when I think of patriarchs in literature and cinema.

1. Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird
I love this character and the fact that Harper Lee's book evolved from her admiration of her father and the life lessons he taught her. Even if you don't like the book or movie, you have to admit at the very least that Atticus is a pretty cool name.

2. John McClane from the Die Hard movies
He's not what anyone would necessarily call the ideal father, what with all the violence and chaos he attracts, but in the end he and his kids come together to fight bad guys and save the world, or at least part of it. And who else can say, "Yippee Ki Yay..." with a straight face and such sincerity?

3. Mr. Bennett from Pride and Prejudice
Lives in a house full of women trying to find suitable marriage matches and all the drama that ensues and doesn't go completely insane. Good dad!

4. Zeus from Greek mythology
I said "memorable" dads, which doesn't always mean good dads. To his credit, he's a better father than he is a husband. Plus, he's got that cool lightening bolt he uses to zap his enemies.

5. George Bailey from It's a Wonderful Life
The ultimate dad, willing to sacrifice himself for his family. Probably the reason this character is so memorable is because he's so human and real. Who wouldn't want this guy for a father?

What about you? Do you have a most memorable dad in literature or cinema? Please do share!

1 comment:

Carly Carson said...

Atticus - are there people who don't like that book? Mr. Bennett was hardly present, but yes, he deserves a toast. Good topic.