Camp NaNoWriMo

I think everyone who's part of the writing community has heard of NaNoWriMo. A writing push held in November, to write 50,000 words in one month. I have always resisted the call, thinking that I don't do my best work when I rush, spewing words on the page without going back and editing as I go.

But I've been having a little trouble getting back into the writing routine after two long trips in the past month and have been struggling between a few different projects, not sure what to focus on.

Then I heard about a summer push called Camp NaNaWriMo. From their website:

Based on November’s National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), Camp NaNoWriMo provides the online support, tracking tools, and hard deadline to help you write the rough draft of your novel in a month… other than November!

What: Writing a novel from scratch in one month’s time.

When: You can sign up anytime to add your name to the roster. Writing begins at 12:00 AM on April 1, and again on July 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach your word-count goal by 11:59 PM on the last day of the month.



For this push, however, you aren't limited to the 50K word goal. You can set your own word count goal. If you want to write a 25K novella, you can do that. I'm sure if you wanted to write more words during the month, you could do that as well.

I'm going to start a new project for Camp NANOWRIMO, book #2 in a series I will be indie publishing (my first venture into the indie waters.) Not sure how the process will work for me, but if I don't try, I'll never know, right? I'll be aiming for 50K for the month of July. For 31 days that comes out to 1,613 words a day. Totally doable. I've written much more than that for days on end, except for beginnings. I'm going to plan as much in advance as I can this week so hopefully the writing will be smooth right from the beginning. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anyone want to join me?

Natasha
www.natashamoore.com

5 comments:

Angela Hood-Ross said...

I participated in April's Camp NaNoWriMo and loved it. I have been doing NaNoWriMo for 7 years and when I discovered these additional months for NaNo Nuts like me, I jumped on the chance to use it to finish the story I had started in November. I plan to participate in July, as well, with a new novel. Good luck to you!

Natasha Moore said...

Great, Savannah. Good luck to you as well!

Amy Jarecki said...

I signed up for Camp Nano a couple of days ago. I need to get the avatar on my blog :-) Hope to see you there!!!!

Natasha Moore said...

Yay, Amy!

Carol Burnside / Annie Rayburn said...

I'm jumping on the bandwagon.