Must Be Doin' Something Right

I’ve written a lot of short stories and novellas. I’m very comfortable writing at that length, keeping a very tight focus on my hero and heroine and their story. And while I hope to continue writing the shorter sexy stories, I’ve decided to venture out of my comfort zone and write a single title length erotic romance. I came up with a premise I really like and a hero and heroine I decided I could spend a lot of time with. At least ninety thousands words worth. And I got to work.

Because I’m comfortable with the shorter length, writing a bigger book offers several challenges. Things like pacing and secondary characters and subplots and, let’s face it, a whole lot more words about the same characters and their story. When one of the RWA chapters I belong to, From the Heart, announced they were taking entries for their Lories Published Author Proposal Contest, it was perfect timing. What better way to get some feedback when I’m trying something new? I’d find out relatively quickly if what I was doing was working. It also forced me to plot out my entire story since I had to submit a synopsis along with the first 40 some pages. I sent in my entry and continued to work on the story. I’m glad to say I’m still enjoying it and I’m nearly halfway there.

I found out today that my entry is a finalist! My scores were awesome and the partial will be headed out to a few editors and agents. I’m so thrilled. As I explained to my husband, so often in this business we can go for long stretches of time without any feedback at all, so to be a finalist with a new type of project at least lets me know that I must be doing something right.

And sometimes, that’s all we need to keep showing up at the keyboard every day and putting a few more words down on the page.

And speaking of doing something right, here’s one of the sexiest country songs I know, sung by one of my favorite artists. Enjoy

Natasha
www.natashamoore.com

18 comments:

Wynter said...

Congrats! Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I go back and forth on length. For me that keeps it fresh and interesting.

Sasha Devlin said...

Congrats! I'm always in awe of you, and even more Natasha Story is always welcome. Wooo Hoo!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Natasha! Very cool. Good luck and keep us posted.

Alison Stone

Darah Lace said...

Congrats on your Lories final! Good luck!

Unknown said...

Congrats on finaling. Best of luck.

Helen said...

congratulations! perfect song for your news. And the video is incredible.

Carol Ericson said...

Congrats on the final, Natasha! Love the video.

Nicole North said...

Congratulations on the final, Natasha!! I also like to switch around and write some novellas and some novels.

I don't normally like country music but I really enjoyed this song and video. Very sexy and romantic!

Jennifer August said...

Congratulations, Natasha!! Fingers crossed for good news from both the contest AND the final judges!

Hot Ash Romance Novels said...

That's what I'm going through now too, Natasha!

I was very used to (and happy with) writing short novels, 50K and under or novellas...even short stories. Suddenly I received a contract for three single titles and I was never more afraid!!!

I've done two of the three and plotted the third, and guess what? I kind of like having all that room to play with! You might too. Just look at it as time to go down those alternate paths you had to blind yourself to before.

Ash
P.S. thanks for the video. I'd never have seen it and would have missed something beautiful because I don't listen to country music much.

susan said...

Your choice of Billy C. for the trailer was great as he is so good. I loved the whole thing and it was so fitting. I sure would love to read your book since I watched this. susan L.

Natasha Moore said...

Thanks, Wynter. I think I'll keep writing all different lengths too.

Hey Sasha!!! Thanks for stopping by. I'll be needing a beta reader when I get this done. :)

Hi Alison! I'll be sure to let you know what happens with this story.

Natasha Moore said...

Thanks, Darah and Amber! Thanks for stopping by.

Hey Helen! Glad you liked the video.

Thanks Carol. Billy Currington is one of my favorites.

Natasha Moore said...

Hey Nicole. I'm enjoying writing different lengths. Glad you liked the video - super sexy song :)

Thanks, Jennifer. Hope the final judges like it as well as the first ones did.

Hi Ash! I'm so looking forward to reading your first single title! And as for the video - you're welcome ;)

Natasha Moore said...

Hi Susan. The video isn't really a trailer for the book but, hmmm, now that I think about it, the hero IS tall with light wavy hair :)

Adele Dubois said...

Big congrats, Natasha! I have no doubt I'll see your book on the shelves of my favorite big box bookstore. Best of luck.

Adele Dubois

Maree Anderson said...

Woowhoo! Congratulations, Natasha. You go, girl!

Carly Carson said...

That's awesome, Natasha! I hope they have great judges who can further your career.