I'm walking. Are you?

It's September, folks. For a lot of us that means back to school, the end of hot summer days as the first signs of fall start to appear, and , let's face it, getting ourselves in the mindset of winter arriving along with the upcoming holidays.

But for me, September means even more. September, you see, is World Alzheimer's Month.


I've talked before about my mom, and how she's afflicted with this horrible disease. What I've probably never mentioned before is that her mother had it as well, as did my grandfather on my dad's side.

I'm not going to lie, the fact that so many in my family have suffered through this scares me to death. Is it hereditary? Yes, it can be. Will I get it? Will my kids? I have no clue.

We talk about this quite a bit in my family--honestly, with something like this, you have to. But I'm doing even more. Not only is September World Alzheimer's Month, but here in Chicago, it's also our month to host the Walk to End Alzheimer's.

Bradley Cooper in his purple Alzheimer's shirt.

I have my own team this year, in honor of my mother and my grandparents. Next Sunday, come rain or shine, I'll be down at Montrose Harbor, ready to walk my little heart out. So many of my family and friends -- even some writing friends whom I've never met -- have donated to my walk. My heart has has been touched so many times. It's hard for me to express how much everyone's support means to me. I've cried happy, yet sad, tears more than once through this experience.

So, as I gear up for the Walk, remember you can help, too. Awareness is critical. Let's all GO PURPLE on Sept 21st!!

And let's also hope that very, very soon, scientists will find a cure for his terrible disease!

Kristin
www.kristindaniels.com
www.facebook.com/authorkristindaniels
http://twitter.com/Kristin_Daniels

6 comments:

lbgregg said...

Kristin--

Please send me the link so I can pledge in support of your amazing efforts. I was trying to find the link yesterday. I hope it's not too late to pledge.

lbgregg@lbgregg.com

X's

LB

Kristin Daniels said...

Thanks, hon. You rock! I sent the link. X's & O's right back atcha!

Mari Freeman said...

I did it! I did it! Will be there with you in spirit every step you take.

Kristin Daniels said...

Thanks, babe! I so appreciate it! I'll be looking for your spirit to help me along :)

Tami Brothers said...

Hey Kristin! Had not heard of this. Thanks a ton for sharing it (and that photo :) Love Bradley ).

My dad is in the later stages of Alzheimer's and I really think this is agreat cause for my family to get behind.

Best of luck to you and yours.

Tami

Kristin Daniels said...

Hi, Tami! I'm so sorry about your dad, yet I'm glad I could inform you about the walk. It's so important to spread the word and raise awareness. Good luck to you and your family, as well!