I'm not going to say anything, because if I do...

I'm pretty sure I jinxed myself this week. Everything was going along great -- the kids are back in school, I had the house to myself, ideas were flowing and my fingers were flying on the keyboard. Monday and Tuesday totally rocked. Then, on Tuesday night, feeling all uppity about myself, I posted on Facebook: So this whole everyone back to school thing has done wonders for my word count totals :)

Innocent enough, right? I was just so thrilled that I'd had 2 really good writing days -- in a freaking row. 

Aaaaand -- wait for it -- here comes the jinx part. 


I never should've said anything. Even as I typed that happy little innocent post, I said to myself, Now watch, this is going to blow the rest of the week. 


And yeah. It pretty much did. So far, anyway. 


In all fairness, the scene I've been working on since Wednesday morning has been a touchy one. A confession scene, and not just a one-sided one. Both the hero and heroine have something to get off their chests. But, oh dear writing gods: Come on!


I'm not really a superstitious person. Not like, say, my grandmother was. She'd see a chair rocking with no one in it and FREAK. (Side story: One time, my mother walked into their house carrying a garden hoe -- why? I honestly have no idea, lol -- My grandmother made her walk out of the house backwards so she would take all the bad "whatever" back out with her the way she came. Weird, right?) So why is it that every time I say I'm going to write such-and-such amount of words today, that I end up struggling to get even 10? That if I post on FB or Twitter that Today I'm going to finish this chapter, scene, whatever, that that's a sure-fire indication there's no way in HELL that will ever happen? 


I want to talk about my writing, I really do. But man, maybe I just shouldn't. Not until after the fact. Anyone else feel this way? Or am I alone in my semi-superstitious nuttiness? 


Anyway, here's me, off to do... Well, maybe something today. Maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see, right?


Have a great Labor Day weekend, everyone!!

Kristin

www.kristindaniels.com
www.facebook.com/authorkristindaniels
http://twitter.com/Kristin_Daniels

4 comments:

Ari Thatcher said...

I hate to talk about anything ahead of time these days because it's a guarantee it won't get done right!

Vonda Sinclair said...

Great post! One thing I noticed is I can't talk about whatever story I'm writing, especially if it's the first draft. I have to keep the story all to myself like a big secret. It's the way my muse likes it. :)

Kristin Daniels said...

I'm right there with you, Vonda. I've mentioned things like who the main character is (my sheriff story, my firefighter story), but I usually keep the plot to myself. It's like if I let anything out too early... Yeah, I'm worried I'll jinx it. LOL.

Esmerelda Bishop said...

Happens to me all the time. I actually signed up for a August writing month with some other writers to try and get a certain word count a day. Yeah--I got zero, count it, zero words last month. This is the third time I've signed up for one of these and then didn't write a dag-gum word. Seems like life takes that moment to do a huge belly-laugh and point at me then say, "You want to write how many words a day? Wait until you see what I have in store for you."

So I feel your pain!!