Someone Had to Do It

I’m not ashamed. What am I indulging in tonight?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.

That’s right. The J.K. Rowling series is a personal weakness of mine. I started reading the series when I was laid up in the hospital the last week of my pregnancy. I will admit to having a hard time with the first two books because they were targeted for middle school children, but it was still cute--cute enough for me to go on to the third book. When I started Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban, the adult in me was grabbed by the darker edge. After that I was sold. I gobbled up Goblets of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. (And yes, I have re-read all 800 of pages of The Order at least 8 times. Until the Deathly Hallows came out, Order was my favorite of the series). Once I finished Order, I had to wait. Don’t you hate that? You get introduced into a series, devour through the books then have to wait for the next installment.

The Half-Blood Prince and The Deathly Hallows both came out around my birthday and I told my then husband all I wanted for my birthday was the book and time. And I got it. I held my book close to my chest and flew to my room, and didn’t return until I was finished. I’m one of those readers that can’t put a book down. I know this, so I had to plan accordingly, which meant the hubs took a day off to watch the kids and I started reading first thing in the morning. It took me 15 hours to read Half-Blood. By the time I got to the end, the hubs was in bed, the kids asleep. I remember waking him up, crying my eyeballs out because “Spoiler Alert for anyone who has actually never seen the movie or read the book* Dumbledore was dead.

And of course, I cried the entire second half of Deathly Hallows because all the characters I’d come to love throughout the series were being killed.

I’ve watched every movie, though been deeply disappointed with most of them. I still can’t fathom how they took the longest book of the series and made it into the best movie, yet massacred Half-Blood.

I do have high hopes for Deathly Hallows though. I’m very happy they made the book into two movies and rumor mill has it the director followed the book closely. I have some favorite scenes I can’t wait to see come to life on the big screen. Unfortunately, I don’t think any of them will be in this movie. So July 2011 can’t get here soon enough.
Anyone else a huge Potter fan? If not, what is a series you’d like to see go to the big screen?
Esme
www.esmereldabishop.com

No comments: