Dexter

I was recently introduced to Dexter. For those of you who have not seen the series, it is a Showtime dark drama that I highly recommend. I’m not going to spend this blog talking about how freaking good it is- BTW it is superb:)--I’m going to talk about the writing as well as the acting.

When I first started hearing the hubbub over the series, I was like yeah-whatever. How could anyone enjoying watching a show based around a serial killer, much less like the man.

I was stunned to be proven wrong.

That, people, is genius writing. Taking something as serious as serial killing and being able to portray a character is such a way that even the most cynical person—myself included—could actually sympathize with him and root for him. I have to give mad props to Michael C. Hall as well. Combined with the script and his portrayal of Dexter, I was hooked from the very first episode. I found myself thinking thing I never imagined I would think. Oh my God, he can’t get caught. Dexter get that bastard. Dexter would never do that, he’s too good of a person. Yeah, that last one really got me. But I thought it.

One of the oddest moments, for me, came in the middle of Season Two. As the first season had, this one also started with a bang and I was riveted. A new character was introduced and I had the oddest conversation with a friend of mine. She had just finished watching the season and we were doing our typical female banter. Can you believe this? Oh my God did you see that? What if this happens? Yada yada yada. Then we started talking about this new character and I said “that character” is a bad influence on Dexter.

Say what? Did that I really just say that? Someone a bad influence on a serial killer? I have finally lost my mind.

That is why I love this series so much. I’m a TV junkie, I will admit that. I can get hooked very easily on almost anything, BUT Dexter has been different. There is an appreciation for the acting and writing like none I have felt before. Mostly because it is such a sensitive subject matter and they walk a very fine line. One wrong step and Dexter becomes evil, not a hero.

So my question to you, have you ever watched/read something that made things come out of you mouth you never thought possible?

Esme
www.esmereldabishop.com

9 comments:

Natasha Moore said...

Esme, I've never much cared for movies where you're supposed to root for the bad guy, but you have me curious about Dexter. Too bad I don't subscribe to Showtime...

Abby Niles said...

Yeah me either, that is why Dexter was such a surprise for me. NEVER thought I would get into this.

I don't subscribe either. I rented the seasons from Netflix's, lol. I have a while to wait for Season 4 which is going on now. Pout. :)

Cameo Brown said...

Great post, Esme!

I was thinking of these types of shows when I did my post on anti-heroines. The anti-hero has come into its own in the last decade, almost totally wiping out the typical "good guy" stereotype. I think the reason why is that it reminds us that life/people are way more complex than we realize, and those characters are much more interesting. Nothing is simply black or white or good or evil, and I think some of the most interesting characters I've ever written walked that fine line. I know they can be much more fun to write!

I rarely find myself interested in series, but Breaking Bad on AMC has become a favorite and is actually the same kind of show. A high school chemistry teacher discovers he's got inoperable lung cancer and decides to cook meth to make money for his family before he dies because they're poor. This one act of desperation changes his whole life, and in many ways is the best thing that ever happened to him even though he does some terrible things. Strangely compelling and raw, and makes one wonder what s/he would do in that situation, because it could happen to any of us.

Abby Niles said...

Cameo--you have me completely intrigued by Breaking Bad, I'll have to check it out!! I bet I would wonder the same thing. What wouldn't you do for your family, especially knowing you wouldn't be around.

Carol Ericson said...

Esme, I agree 100%. I'm actually NOT much of a TV junkie - not enough time, but my husband and I have always watched the HBO and Showtime shows on Sunday night (Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Sex and the City, Deadwood, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Tudors, etc.) and Dexter is one of the BEST. After the first season we looked at each other and said, "how can it get any better than that?" Then the 2nd season came along. The characters are fantastic, the writing, acting, plot twists - everything is so good. I'm looking forward to seeing John Lithgow this season (Jimmy Smits was fantastic in season 2).

Carol Ericson said...

Uh - that would be season 3 for Smits.

Nicole North said...

Great post! I don't watch Dexter but there have been a few TV series or movies where I was able to find a murderer, assassin or that type of person sympathetic. My favorites are Sawyer and Kate on Lost. Neither are serial killers but they've both committed murder once or twice. The reason it works for me is I get their motivation and they're redeemable. I used to be a fan of The Tudors, but I stopped being able to sympathize with Henry after a certain point when he started having his wife, her family and his own friends executed. Also loved La Femme Nikita (especially the TV series.) It is a fine line at times but fascinating.

Carol Ericson said...

Nicole - LOL on The Tudors; the writers do take some liberties with history, but I suppose they can't just up and make Henry VIII a nice guy when he was pretty ruthless. I don't watch the Tudors to sympathize with Henry - but there are other characters who win my loyalty - the actress who played Anne Bolyn was awesome and I miss her on the show.

Nicole North said...

Yes, exactly. I loved Anne too. Almost everyone I liked on the show ended up getting killed or dying. My favorite character is actually Charles Brandon. But he's such a womanizer I could no longer like him much either. So I ran out of people to care about. LOL They do indeed take a lot of liberties with history too.