I thought I'd just post some thoughts after my first week of retirement. My first week at my second career. My first week as a full-time writer.
1. Everyone I talk to asks me how I like retirement - like I'm going to say, oh no! I changed my mind, I WANT to go back to all that stress I've been complaining about for years! My mother actually said I might feel differently in a year. Really? I don't see that happening.
2. I don't really consider myself retired. I'm still working. Just at a different job. A job I love. Doing what I've always wanted to do.
3. I LOVE waking up without the alarm clock. One of the BEST things as far as I'm concerned. I'm still usually awake around 6 am anyway, but that's okay. I don't want to sleep my whole morning away.
4. I've been getting a lot of writing done. Yay! I love writing in the mornings and am so afraid I could fritter away this precious time I've been given. I dove into a new story and I'm loving it. Only one day last week did I not get my minimum word count done, and that was because my daughter and the little guy came over. Yeah, I figure I'm allowed cuddle time.
5. I've been thinking a lot about the way my career is headed. Where I want it to go. What changes I might want to make. What opportunities I might want to explore. It's exciting. A little scary. One of those crystal balls might be nice, to make sure I make the right decisions, but I guess I'll just have to do the best I can.
6. I've also worked to organize and clean up my office space. It's still a work in progress, but it is nice to work with less clutter.
7. The Internet, and social media especially, are tempting distractions. I tell myself to shut down my internet access until I get my words done, but I haven't quite been able to do that. I figure as long as I DO get my words done, I'm not going to worry about it right now.
8. I'm fitting exercise into each day. I've let that slide for the past few years and it feels great to be moving again.
9. I don't dread Mondays anymore!
10. I'm happy.
Have a great week!
Silken Canvas - available now