Books Adapted for the Big Screen

As an author, one of my greatest joys is reaching the end of a story I'm writing. Lots of other events in life are as special, but typing a story’s final paragraph is something I always celebrate. While the characters are moving through their tale, and when they’re talking, those action scenes and words play out in my mind as a movie. During the writing and revision process, I deconstruct the choreography and read aloud the parts spoken by the characters. I’m totally immersed in their world.

Over the years, many fabulous novels have been adapted for made-for-television movies and big-screen presentations. Rare are the times when a book’s author also writes the movie’s script and the movie version often differs from the novel to some degree. My favorite novel-to-movie adaptation is REBECCA by the gifted storyteller, Dame Daphne du Maurier. I read the novel a year or so before seeing the movie starring the stellar acting talents of Sir Lawrence Olivier, Vivian Leigh and Dame Judith Anderson. Mrs. Danvers, the story’s villain, is the epitome of evil and will always remain my favorite novel and movie villain—followed closely by another superbly-written villain, Hannibal Lecter in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. Both of these novels translated well on screen, and my kudos to the screenwriters who made this happen.

What is your favorite book-to-movie adaptation? How does this adaptation compare with what you, as a reader, visualized for the story line, setting and cast of characters?


Feel the heat in erotic fiction,

Shawna Moore
ROUGHRIDER -- Ellora’s Cave
HELLE IN HEELS – Ellora’s Cave
Shawna’s Myspace
Helle’s Myspace

4 comments:

Elen Grey said...

Hey Fierce Romance - Love the shamrocks! I've been reading you on RSS feed and didn't realize that you had linked to me. Thank you so much!

Great post Shawna. I remember the book and movie, Rebecca, very well.

You've really stumped me today. lol Actually, I think they did a brilliant job with Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings considering the sheer amount of material they needed to adapt. I wasn't disappointed.

Unfortunately, I often am disappointed in adaptations. OTOH, sometimes I like what a film did better.

Now, if we were talking about remakes of older films, I'd have more to say. ;-)

Much cheer.

Vonda Sinclair said...

Thanks so much for reading us on RSS feed, Elen! And we are happy to provide the link to your great blog here!

As for books and films, (Wonderful post, Shawna!) I enjoyed the book Gone With The Wind much more than the movie. I felt they left too much out. I also prefered the book version of The Wizard of Oz. Though it's been years since I saw the movie, I thought they did a fairly good job with Jane Eyre.

ShawnaMoore said...

Hi, Elen!

Thanks for adding your thoughts :) You're quite welcome for the link. Love your blog!

I'm also often disappointed in movie versions of novels. But my curiosity is always piqued, and I find myself watching to see if the movie measures up to the book I loved :) The Lord of the Rings was a fantastic production. Quite an undertaking for the directors and screenwriters. Many authors dream of having their stories made into movies. Of course, you can guess I'm one of them :)

Happy week wishes,

Shawna

ShawnaMoore said...

Hi, Vonda!

How I adored Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. You're right that the book was different than the movie version. Loved both. Same for Gone With the Wind. As with TWOO, I saw the movie before reading the book. Both versions were enjoyable but on different levels for me :) Glad you enjoyed the topic :) One of these days I must find and read the other Oz books in Baum's series.

Happy week wishes,

Shawna