Back To The Real World

First of all, Happy 4th of July for our readers who celebrate. I came back from NYC to two get-togethers yesterday and another one today. We're also having a huge fireworks display over the lake in our village tonight. Way to celebrate!

If anyone has been to a week-long conference like RWA's National, you know how immersed you get, in the business of publishing, in the creativity of characters and story, in the craft of writing. You're surrounded by people just as focused as you are. The ideas are flying and inspiration is everywhere.

Then, at the end of a train ride that ended up being more like 9 hours than 8, you're back in the real world...

Surrounded by all those people you love who don't have stories in their heads. Surrounded by all those chores that didn't go away while you were gone. Even if you were lucky, like I was, and most of the chores were kept up while you were gone, there's still a suitcase full of dirty clothes and people who want to talk about things like replacing siding on the house and what to bring to the picnic this afternoon.

The real world. Where you have to find that balance again between life and writing. There are workshops for that, but I've found the most important thing is to take yourself seriously. You have to believe your writing time is worth it before anyone else will. And to enjoy the picnic and the fireworks and then close the office door when it's your writing time.

I'll put together my conference thoughts in another post, but wanted to share a couple pictures of the awesome view from the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Our room was on the 40th floor and had a view of the river. The pictures through the sealed windows don't do the view justice, but just to give you a taste...






Oh, and I came back to an awesome blurb for my 2nd Paolo's Playhouse story, Taking Chances, scheduled right now for late fall! Can't wait to share it with you.

Have a great day!

Natasha
www.natashamoore.com

6 comments:

Alison Stone said...

Ah...I have a suitcase full of dirty laundry, too. But it is nice to be home. What a great week!

Carly Carson said...

It was so nice to meet you Natasha. It was my first conference. I learned so much and met so many wonderful people. I am glad to be home.

Natasha Moore said...

Hi Alison! It was a great week, wasn't it?

Carly! It was great meeting you too. I'm glad to be home too. Can't keep up that pace for more than a few days :)

P. K. Brent said...

Great photos Natasha! You're so right. My train was behind too. But I finished up my laundry yesterday and ready to celebrate the 4th.

Cassandra Carr said...

I haven't touched the laundry or even unpacked my entire suitcase. I think I'm trying to deny all that stuff needs to be done. ;-)

Natasha Moore said...

PK, I just started my laundry...

Cassandra, unfortunately, you can only stay in denial for so long. :)