All I Want for Christmas

Got your attention, huh? I don't really want one
of those buff "santas" to the right for Christmas,
although the one with the... Just kidding! I'm going to be boring because all I want for Christmas this year is time! I suppose much of my lack of time is due to some procrastination. No, I haven't bought or wrapped many gifts yet, and we just got around to putting up our tree and decorating it. (Actually, we got it a few days ago and it's been sitting in our house naked until tonight when we finally decorated it.) But procrastination is just half the story. There are just so many activities at this time of year, it's hard to find time to do simple things like errands, never mind the Christmas shopping.

This week alone, I attended two Christmas concerts for the kids - one at night and one during the day, a luncheon at work, a dinner for the AYSO board - and it's only Thursday. Last weekend it was two parties, one for my husband's Aikido dojo and one for my son's soccer team - both potlucks, one requiring a white elephant gift.

Don't get me wrong, I love the parties, concerts, and social events, there's just not enough time to enjoy them all. Throw in selling a property (just opened escrow last week), revisions on a Red Sage Presents story and a final proof for another RS Presents story, and you're left with one harried mom, wife, worker, and writer!

I'm looking forward to Christmas day, which is probably the most relaxing day of the whole holiday season. I don't cook (did that for Thanksgiving) and we don't have family around (thankfully, I don't have to worry about keeping the house clean on top of everything else), so we open presents in the morning; maybe take the dog for a walk; if it's a nice day, we'll take a walk on the beach; then we go out to dinner; and we might catch a movie after. We usually end up playing some board games or maybe watching a Christmas movie on TV. In other words, it's a relaxing, enjoyable day after a hectic few weeks.

So a few more days of shopping, a few days of wrapping gifts at lunchtime when the kids are still at school, no more parties, no more cooking, no more "events" and then I get my ahhhh time. I can't wait for Christmas!

7 comments:

Nicole North said...

Sounds like a nice relaxing Christmas! I would love a walk on the beach on Christmas day since I'm wild about beaches. As it is, we have to eat two Christmas dinners on the same day. And one earlier in the week. Whew! Too much! :-)

Stacey Joy Netzel said...

Carol, that sounds great! Our Christmas day is usually pretty relaxing, but before is shaping up pretty hectic for me, too. My tree's naked in the living room since last Friday and will remain so until Sunday when we can all decorate it together--or maybe Sat night. And I usually have my decorations up by the first weekend in December, but this yr I'm still finding Halloween decorations I missed putting away. Not such a big deal, except that I have little kids AND it's my turn to host Christmas Eve w/the extended family. Oh well, it'll get done and then probably stay up until the end of February. LOL

Merry Christmas and I hope you get to walk the beach. :)

Terry Spear said...

We had to have our Christmas yesterday, talk about hectic. But the good thing was anything that didn't work out could go back and be returned ahead of time. And no lines for returns. :) So by Christmas, mistakes can be remedied. LOL :)

Cameo Brown said...

I love the holidays, but the older I get the faster they go and the less I get done. Unbelievably, we actually got our cards in the mail before Christmas Eve this year. A small victory, but a victory nonetheless! Have a great holiday everyone.-Cameo

ShawnaMoore said...

Hi, Mia!

I'll second that Santa request for more time :) Even another hour every day would make a big difference.

Congratulations on your writing career accomplishments over the holidays. You deserve some downtime, especially being a busy mom!

Blessings and all the holiday's best,

Shawna

Mia Varano said...

Nicole, we may have to skip the beach this year. We're having some rain and chilly temps this week.

Stacey, the naked trees look nice too. I have to get a real tree because I love the smell - the best part of the tree!

Terry, do you always do Christmas a week early?

Cameo, I'm sorry to admit that I don't even get cards out anymore. I used to be so good at it too.

Shawna, I'm looking forward to the down time!

Happy holidays, everyone!

Chiron said...

Wishing you a very merry (and relaxing) Christmas!

Smiles,
Chiron