Anticipation

For some reason, Carly Simon is serenading inside my skull. But there’s no zesty condiment being squeezed or tipped on end for this blog’s topic. Instead, an emotional reaction is the core of my subject matter.

There’s something unique and unrelenting about love, when it’s new and when you know it’s true. A couple meets and realizes their attraction. Then anticipation kicks in. As someone who believes love can solve so many problems, I enjoy reading romance novels and living the story vicariously through the central characters. The first romance I recall reading was ROMEO AND JULIET. What a tormented and sensational tale played out on the pages involving that amorous pair. Even though only ten years old at the time, I pondered what passion and love would hold for me when the time was ripe. After all, Shakespeare’s memorable characters gave their lives for love. Faced with a stellar conflict, they made the ultimate sacrifice. The Bard tapped the dramatic depths and stirred strong emotional reactions in his readers. Of all the romantic stories I’ve read over the years, I’ve never experienced more anticipation over the outcome than I did while reading R&J. From time to time I re-read this classic and marvel at the scope of the story and how it remains a timeless literary treasure. What kept me turning those pages was the hope to which I clung as their struggles and the sexual tension mounted.

What about you, readers? Do you delight in the rush of adrenaline and the surge of emotions as you embark on a romantic journey with those characters in romance novels? Do you find yourself eagerly anticipating the point where the couple has overcome their conflicts and earned their happily ever after?


Feel the heat in erotic fiction,

Shawna Moore
ROUGHRIDER -- Ellora's Cave
HELLE IN HEELS -- Ellora's Cave
Shawna's Myspace
Helle's Myspace

4 comments:

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Oh, absolutely, Shawna!!! The worst movies I've seen is where they get through so much and then there's no happily ever after. That's why I love to read romance...it has to have that terrific ending!

Vonda Sinclair said...

Great post Shawna! I love taking romantic journeys with characters, whether my own or others in the books I read, movies or TV I watch. And I do enjoy that journey, the ups and downs. I think I like that more than the destination. I must have that happy ending too of course, but sometimes I don't want the story to end.

ShawnaMoore said...

Hi, Terry!

It's always great giving those characters the true romantic connection after they've overcome their conflicts :) When they're happy, I'm happy :)

Hope you have a great week!

Shawna

ShawnaMoore said...

Hi, Vonda!

Like you, I've often wished a story would continue for many more chapters. The tale simply ends too soon and I hate putting the book down.

Enjoy your week to the max!

Shawna