A Nature Walk

 Iris cristata
I live in a beautiful part of the country, the Blue Ridge Mountains. My husband and I took a hike recently, not too far from where we live. I love hiking because not only is it good exercise, I get to breathe fresh air and get energized by the beauty of nature.

There is a small field of these native wild Irises at the top of the ridge. When they're all in bloom it's an amazing sight, a sweep of lavender-blue.

I took these photos and combined them with some beautiful nature quotes. Hopefully they will inspire you to take a walk in nature and notice the tiny flowers, the tree bark's texture and the dew drops on the leaves.

Since I am a writer, I have a good excuse for enjoying nature at every opportunity...

"Nature is a writer's best friend."  ~Agavé Powers





"A woodland in full color is awesome as a forest fire, in magnitude at least, but a single tree is like a dancing tongue of flame to warm the heart."
Hal Borland



One of my favorite wildflowers, cranesbill geranium.
 "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."  ~Albert Einstein


The view from the top of the ridge. Now you can see why they're called Blue Ridge Mountains.
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.  Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.  The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."  ~John Muir


"I remember a hundred lovely lakes, and recall the fragrant breath of pine and fir and cedar and poplar trees.  The trail has strung upon it, as upon a thread of silk, opalescent dawns and saffron sunsets.  It has given me blessed release from care and worry and the troubled thinking of our modern day.  It has been a return to the primitive and the peaceful.  Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy."  ~Hamlin Garland, McClure's, February 1899



"Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars... and if you have eyes you will be able to see that the whole existence is joyful.  Everything is simply happy.  Trees are happy for no reason; they are not going to become prime ministers or presidents and they are not going to become rich and they will never have any bank balance.  Look at the flowers - for no reason.  It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are."  ~Osho


"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair."  ~Kahlil Gibran


"If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you, if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand, rejoice, for your soul is alive."  ~Eleonora Duse

A million baby oaks.
 "In wilderness I sense the miracle of life, and behind it our scientific accomplishments fade to trivia."  ~Charles A. Lindbergh, Life, 22 December 1967


"Adopt the pace of nature:  her secret is patience."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


Nature will bear the closest inspection.  She invites us to lay our eye level with her smallest leaf, and take an insect view of its plain.  ~Henry David Thoreau



"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man."  ~Author Unknown



"How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!"  ~John Muir





"I know the thrill of the grasses when the rain pours over them.
I know the trembling of the leaves when the winds sweep through them.
I know what the white clover felt as it held a drop of dew pressed close in its beauteousness.
I know the quivering of the fragrant petals at the touch of the pollen-legged bees.
I know what the stream said to the dipping willows, and what the moon said to the sweet lavender.
I know what the stars said when they came stealthily down and crept fondly into the tops of the trees."
~Muriel Strode, "Creation Songs"

I hope you enjoyed this trip through nature.
Thanks!!
Vonda
www.vondasinclair.com

PS I've donated a Scottish gift basket to the Brenda Novak Online Auction for Diabetes. Click here to see what it contains!




14 comments:

Renee Vincent said...

Oh this walk with you was so lovely. Thanks Vonda!

Cora Blu said...

What beautiful pictures and quotes.
Nature never gives up. She gives her best every day.

Cora Blu

Ella Quinn said...

Lovely pictures and quotes. Great post.

Vonda Sinclair said...

Thanks so much Renee, Cora and Ella! I'm glad you liked it. :) I agree with you about nature, Cora.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

OOOOH maybe I'll just stay hidden in your pocket and go home with you after Scotland. Gorgeous photos. Your mountains are so different from these Sierras I live in. Some day I will have to share some of them. Mother Nature sure does give us some beauty to live in.

Vonda Sinclair said...

That's a good idea, Paisley! :) I checked out some pics of the Sierras online and they are very different. The Sierras are incredibly dramatic and rocky, whereas the Blue Ridge Mountains are more gentle and rolling and clothed in trees. Thanks for checking it out! :)

Gerri Bowen said...

Beautiful photos, Vonda.

Clover Autrey said...

I look forward to your posts and hope you'll continue doing them. I'm going to our local Highland Festival this weekend. That's about as close to Scotland as I can get right now.

Vonda Sinclair said...

Thanks Gerri! I'm glad you like the pics!

Clover, thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying my blog posts! I love Highland Festivals and Highland Games. You're sure to see lots of men in kilts. :)

Esmerelda said...

This made me want to get up to the mountains before it gets too hot! Great photos and quotes.

Vanessa Holland said...

Thanks so much for the virtual tour, Vonda! You have such beautiful scenery. I sure miss living in that part of the country.

Chicks of Characterization said...

Gorgeous as usual, Vonda! Love the one looking up into the trees!

Vonda Sinclair said...

I hope you get to visit the mountains soon, Esme! Love those cool refreshing breezes we have up here. :)

Vanessa, thanks! I know I would miss it too if I was away from it for a while.

Andrea, thanks! I'm glad you like it!

Carly Carson said...

Beautiful pictures! I love shots of a path wandering away.