Still there are plenty of Christmas movies on TV, and I'll be sure to start looking for my favorites, which include:
- It's a Wonderful Life - I'm not a huge classic movie buff (that would be my husband, although he mainly likes old Westerns and WWII movies), but this is definitely one of my favorite Christmas movies. Jimmy Stewart is so good; you just can't help feeling for the guy. I love the message of how each of us can make a difference in someone else's life, and we may not even realize it. (I like other oldies like Miracle on 34th Street and White Christmas, but they're not in my tops.)
- Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol - (technically not a movie) It may seem weird, but my favorite version of Charles Dickens' story is this cartoon version with Jim Backus as the voice of Scrooge. It was first broadcast on TV in 1962, and it's a musical version with songs written specifically for the show. I loved this program when I was a kid, and my family watched it every year it was on. I like the music, and the Ghost of Christmas Future is downright scary - always gave me the chills. But of course, eveything ends happily.
- Elf - This is a fairly recent movie with Will Farrell as an overgrown elf. It's funny and sweet. (Hilarious scene when Buddy the elf mistakes a "vertically challenged" corporate executive as another elf.)
- Fred Clause - Another recent movie with Vince Vaughn as Fred Clause (Santa's brother) and Paul Giamatti as Santa. Love it when Fred goes to the North Pole and takes over Santa's workshop!
- Love Actually - I love this movie - a bunch of mini love stories in one movie set during Christmas. My favorite stories are the one with Hugh Grant as the Prime Minister and Colin Firth as a writer, and especially the overriding story of Billy, the resurrected rock star and his schmaltzy Christmas single. Not all the stories have happy endings, but it's a feel-good movie and the ending sequence is magic, which is set to The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows."
I'll leave you with a clip from Love Actually and one of my favorite Christmas songs. What are your favorite Christmas movies?