It’s spring! It feels like a heavy weight has been lifted from my shoulders, or maybe it's just my skin isn't so dried out. Anyway, to see the sun after such a strange winter is immensely inspiring, but it’s not the only thing that rouses me. I realized as I enjoyed the blue sky and sunshine today that a number of things, little things mostly, inspire me, and I thought I’d like to share them in today’s post. So, here is my list of “Things That Inspire Cameo”:
- Love—This is self-explanatory.
- Technology—Remember when we didn’t have cell phones? Or home computers? Or blogs or e-mail? Yes, some say it was a simpler time and that technology is sucking our lives away. I don’t see it that way. It inspires me that we can connect to people around the world to find solutions to problems that have plagued us for years; that we can save lives and improve the lives of those who need it most because we are connected. Yeah, that definitely inspires me.
- Johnny Depp—This, too, is self-explanatory.
- My cat—Who would not be inspired by the love and loyalty of a creature who sees your every flaw and still allows you to be its servant 24 hours a day, seven days a week?
- Music—I truly believe music is the universal language. Take two people and put them in a room, one who loves blue grass techno jazz and one who loves Scandinavian scream singing, and after several tension-filled minutes they will come out with the understanding that even though they have their differences, they are united by the fact they share a true passion for something that is bigger than both of them, something that unites us all, and that’s more important than anything. Kind of wish some world leaders would do the same.
- Flowers—They’re just so darn pretty!
- Writing—Even though I do it professionally, it still inspires me artistically and emotionally, especially other people’s work. I love to read, and everything I read affects me in some way, for better or worse. I’m changed. I’m a different person than I was just before I read those words by that writer. Words have such power, such a magical quality. They are my thoughts and my breath and my heartbeat—how can they not be? And how can I not be inspired by the written word?
- My mistakes—Because I made them, and because they make me a better person, at least most of the time. Where would I be if I never made any mistakes? I’d be left with only numbers 1-7 and number 9 on the list to inspire me. Speaking of which…
- Spring—The season of rebirth and renewal always infuses me with hope. It’s irrational and I can’t explain it, but I just feel better when the world comes alive again after a long winter’s sleep. I don’t question it anymore; I just enjoy it and hope you do, too.
What about you? What inspires you? Please do share. :)