This is quoted from the sign and display in Kilchurn Castle’s great hall.
“The tower-house is the earliest surviving part of the castle, and would have been the residence of its builder, Sir Colin Campbell, 1st laird of Glenorchy. When first built, sometime between 1440 and 1460, the principal means of access would have been through the door to your right, reached up a flight of steps from the courtyard. This led directly into the hall, or large dining room…
"Few of the original features of the 15th-century hall now survive, and the reconstruction of it can therefore be only speculative. All trace of the great fireplace has now gone. But in the far wall, the position of four doorways can still be seen. The outer two of these opened into small closets or chambers, each barrel-vaulted and provided with a latrine; the latrine for the one to the right was entered through the door next to it, and up a short flight of steps. The left hand centre door led down another flight of steps into the cellar below. It was probably up this stair that food and drink were brought in the hall.
"The upper floors of the tower were reached by a staircase inside the right-hand wall, which was entered through a now vanished door somewhere to the right of the principal entrance. At second-floor level there were two chambers, from which separate staircases led up to another two on the third floor, and (after 1550) another two in the garret below the pitched wooden roof.
"The tower-house would have been too small to have accommodated any more than the owner and his immediate family. Between 1475 and 1575, therefore, Sir Colin’s son, Sir Duncan Campbell, built a more spacious hall in the courtyard below, to which other buildings were later added."
The mountains surrounding the castle are gorgeous and green.
When Kilchurn was built, it was on an island barely larger than itself. This information was discovered on a map from the 1500s. Later, the level of the loch was lowered. I can see how this would be true because we had to walk through water a few inches deep to get there. Later, after a huge rain storm, we were certain it would've been difficult to visit the castle at all without tall wellies.
During the 1715 and 1745 Jacobite Rebellions the castle was a government garrison. The Campbell family left the castle in 1740 and moved to their estate in Perthshire. In 1760 lightning damaged the castle and it was abandoned. Above you can see the top of the tower where it fell off (or was knocked off by lightning) and landed upside down in the courtyard.
View from the top of the castle tower out over Loch Awe.
The great hall.
More views from the top. This one shows the barracks.